Monday, February 17, 2014

Just What Do I Want To Accomplish...

As the few of you know, I'm going to be writing a memoir soon. Two thoughts come to mind, the first being that this sounds pretty cool and the second is that I'm not sure it'll interest anyone at all. I like to think that I'm a pretty interesting person but when you get right down to it, I'm really just your average normal guy. This memoir experience has been fun, recalling different memories from my life but nothing really blows you away. But then again that's always been me. I always do just enough to get by, or I go out and do the things I consider fun but refuse to go any further. I'm more than content without anything crazy happening in my life because crazy usually leads to problems.

I hope that whoever reads the memoir I write thoroughly enjoys themselves, after all we are writing for our readers. I hope that they are able to connect and feel what it is that I'm writing. Feel the pain of scratching a cornea, feel the nauseating fear of sitting in a dentist's chair, and feel the panic that ran through my body as I was about to be handcuffed and taken to jail. It's up to me when I'm writing this to make sure that I convey those emotions for my readers to feel. Obviously though in that process I'm not going to share every gruesome detail of the dentist or eye story because not everyone likes to read about that. I'm sure no one wants to visualize all of that when they read this.

Until that day comes you'll have to just sit patiently and wait. 

1 comment:

  1. What idea did you choose? Needed to note here. Good idea to omit details - consider what you reader needs to know. You want space to develop a sense of place and voice.

    ReplyDelete